Sunday, February 23, 2014

Knits in Progress

For the last few weeks I have been knitting up a storm. I have been knitting for about 6 months now. I am definitely a beginner but I am finally at the stage where I am looking for challenges and hoping to broaden my skill set.

The credit has to go to loom knitting for my recent obsession with the craft. Truly, look knitting is an absolute godsend for anyone needing a new hobby but lacking the patience necessary to struggle through the clumsy beginnings that are inevitable with needle knitting.

Truly, knitting has been a blessing. I recently suffered from severe anxiety and post-traumatic stress from my time in graduate school, some illnesses that befell multiple family members, and a 4 year physical separation (not emotional) from my loving, devoted, and long-term boyfriend, I.F. Literally our entire relationship has been long-distance. Until now that is. Now that I'm in Ames, we are finally living under the same room and I have to say its heaven. But that's another post.

Back to knitting. I began this loom knitting piece for my sister, Emmy, in November. This is a seriously arduous item. I do not recommend that any of you, ever try to make this as it is the simplest kind of loom knitting - double stockinette - and it is a 72" monstrosity. She will love it, being that it is in her favorite color - eggplant purple - and that it is seriously warm. Although, she does live in the dessert of Washington state, and winter is basically over. It is considered a work in progress because I have yet to mail it to her.


Here's the lovely fringe detail. As you can see, it is a lovely continuous knit stitch that is double think. But once again, it was 72 inches long and it took me forever. I found myself getting bored with it and I wouldn't touch it for days. This fringe was probably the quickest and most enjoyable part of the process. I think it looks fantastic. I put angle into this piece by tightly winding the string in the center on the last few rows of knitting. 


As you can see, I.F. is modeling so willingly this beautiful piece for my sister. 


For about 9inches on one edge, I sewed the piece together so that it makes a cute built-in had. The hat has a point to it at the top, to add a little elfish whimsy. Its getting sent out this week. I hope she likes it!

The next item I've been working on is truly a work in progress. I had to restart the project three times to get the sizing right. It is a pair of fingerless mitts that I chose to use a mole hair and ribbon yarn to make. The yarn is absolutely beautiful, but because it stretches in certain areas and not in the places where the ribbon is woven into it, the mitt size you need is a gamble. Its trial-and-error with this one. I just have to finish the thumb edging and the right side mitt will be complete. This is a great two-day project; one mitt per day. They are comfortable, soft, and very warm with a really nice eco-chic look to them. 


Here is the absolutely stunning yarn I used for this project. I picked it up from a bargain bin at Joann's!


Phase one: rib-stitch wrist-cuff

Here you can see just how the ribbon sort of skews the pattern, by using more yarn on the peg than on the other pegs, but it looks very artsy this way. 


Let's see.. There are plenty of other unfinished works. Including these two currently in my knitting bag. 

This is a prayer shawl I'm doing in a bright pink color from the Lion's Brand Homespun collection. I don't really need a shawl, so it has really taken me a long time to complete this. This was my first attempt at knitting something with needles instead of a loom. Photos coming soon when it is finished. 

This project is my current love affair. It is called Hermione's scarf as it is a pattern styled off of the hat worn by Hermione in the Harry Potter movies. It has a staggered popcorn sort of pattern that I have adapted somewhat to make it more linear and angular and in my opinion far more interesting.


These are my current projects. As I finish, I will update with photos. 

If you would like the patterns for these projects, please write in the comments section. 

Warm Regards, 
-Alicen


No comments:

Post a Comment