Sunday, March 2, 2014

Leftover Roasted Vegetables? No Problem!

For those of you who love roasted vegetables, I'm sure you're a lot like me and you never make the perfect amount for your recipe. You always have leftovers! Well, I've come up with a few different recipes for what to do with them. One of my absolutely favorite things to do with them is to make a soup. The soup receives its formal name depending on which roasted vegetable takes center stage. Roasted potato soup, creamy roasted garlic soup, roasted squash soup, roasted carrot soup. I've also been known to make cold salads out of it, like nothing beats a roasted potato salad, or a roasted carrot and raisin moroccan salad.

This morning though, I had a new idea. I wanted to make something decided breakfast out of these. Now, you could easily just heat them up and have them along side sausages or eggs, but I.F. loves breakfast skillets so I decided to try my hand at this.  If you've read the Best Ever Roast Chicken post,  these are the veggies from that.

The one kitchen utensil you really need for this is a frying pan that you can put in the oven, but individual cast-iron skillets make the nicest presentation. I do not have one so I made a family-style version instead.

The skillet ends up looking better than because I have a cheap camera and a dimly lit kitchen. Also, when I cook eggs over easy, to get them to the plate without breaking, they end up flying really fast. In short, I'm terrible at feed presentation. 
So here's what you do:

First, sauté the leftover roasted veggies until a good brown crust forms, they are heated through, and much of the moisture. Do not add oil unless they seem dry. They should have enough lubrication from the oil used during roasting and in this case, from the chicken fat during cooking.


In this particular roasted veg combo I have potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms, and whole cloves of garlic.

To this mixture add copious amounts of fresh ground black pepper, and Lawry's seasoning salt or some other flavor that will give you a more rustic and savory taste to lessen some of the sweetness you get from the carrots and onions. Other suggestions are cumin, paprika, chipotle, chili powder, cajun seasoning, Old Bay, etc.  Once its done, take this mixture out and put it in a bowl. At this point you should also preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Then, chop up your favorite sausage - I used chicken andouille for this for two reasons: 1. To cut through the sweetness of roasted vegetables and 2. because that's what I had.

Also, chop up a bell pepper and a medium vidalia onion (any white onion. No red). I added extra onion because a sauteed onion provides a different flavor that is fresh and has some bite for the breakfast skillet. It pairs well with roasted onions and also helps to cut some of that sweetness.

Man, do you see the steam coming off that skillet? Oh yes...
Once the peppers have started to soften and the sausage is getting that lovely crust to it that only sausage can, remove this mixture from the skillet and put it in a bowl.

Now, its an assembly-line process.

Oh that third thing? Yeah, that's grated sharp cheddar cheese. 
To the pan you've been using, add the potato mixture spreading evenly to fill the pan. Then put the sausage mixture on top of this. Finally, top with cheese. To this I also placed some campari tomatoes around the sides to heat up with the skillet. I didn't add to the saute because I didn't want the tomato juices to make everything soggy. While I don't have it in pictures, I diced up the warmed tomatoes after I removed the skillet and added those on top of the eggs.

Then, sprinkle the cheese all over the top. Your goal in baking this is to melt the cheese and keep it warm until the eggs are done.

Fry two eggs per person. Really, as many as you want. 

Also, don't forget to salt and pepper liberally. 
Before the eggs are done, take out the skillet making sure that the cheese is melted. You'll want to flip the eggs, cook for a few seconds just to get a skin over the yolk and then place on top of the skillet.

Like I said, eggs fly and flop all over the place in my kitchen. So, excuse the presentation, its really all about the taste anyway. 
Also, I chopped up the tomatoes after I had already plated the goods so I don't have a picture of the diced tomatoes on top, but DO THIS. It is an absolute MUST.

There you have it. The best reuse of roasted vegetables I've ever made. Enjoy!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment